Live, Interactive Courses
So how do our live courses work? What does my student need to attend a course? We hope to answer these questions as well as others here.
First, you'll need to decide what courses you would like to take. See the course catalog for course descriptions. Ask yourself if you would like to build a full curriculum around Homeschool Connections courses, or if you prefer to use Homeschool Connections courses to supplement your current homeschool curricula.
Once you determine the courses you would like to take, sign up at our registration page. We suggest registering early so that you are assured a seat and also to save money with the early enrollment price.
What equipment is necessary…
- A computer usually purchased within the last five years is more than sufficient. It can be a PC, MAC, or mobile device including iPad or Android tablet. Please note that Microsoft Vista and XP Operating Systems are no longer supported by our online collaboration tool, Adobe Connect.
- A DSL connection or better is recommended. The connection should allow between 3 - 5 megabytes per second or greater. Go to http://speedtest.net to determine your connection speed.
- A headset with a microphone (see picture). Make sure it is compatible with your computer.
Before class actually begins…
- Upon registration, you will receive an confirmation email. This email contains your in-class instructions as well as the link you use to attend the live course. It also contains a link to cancel your enrollment in case that is necessary as well.
- You will also receive an email from email@example.com within 2 weeks of the course begin date providing you with the login instructions for our course management system.
1st Day of Class
- Student will receive an automated emails approximately 2 hours before class begins. This email contains the link to the course so the student can join the class at the designated time (ex. 10 am ET). Note: we strongly encourage students to join at least 15 minutes early.
- One of our Course Monitors will kick off the course and introduce how to participate in the live course using chat, your computer microphone to ask questions, and the annotation or drawing tools.
- Instructor and Course Monitor will proceed to support the students for the duration of the 1st class and remaining classes.
We use a very popular tool for instructors to support the students in accessing the course materials, assignments, and class recordings. Depending on the course and instructor, the students will take quizzes online, turn in their papers, and any other responsibility the students are asked to perform during the course. The student will also receive their grades online.
This tool is specific to Homeschool Connections and not accessible to anyone outside the course. It is free to students.